I was sipping on my favorite frothy, delectably sweet caramel latte at my favorite neighborhood coffee shop, nook in hand, perfectly content as I was falling deeper and deeper into the words on the page... the loud chatter echoing off the gray industrial, concrete walls melding into a steady hum.... when DING! my boyfriend Facebook messaged me a link to a song, that quote him, blew his mind.
Nikki by Logic. This song isn't necessarily up my alley, but nonetheless, when somebody shares something with you that speaks to them, you're essentially obliged to experience it with them, you know? So I did. Raw, exposed, sexy. These were the words that popped into my head as I listened to him rap about this girl named Nikki. The song was good, not great, but I told myself I would listen to the end, curious as to see what about it "blew his mind." And now I recommend that you listen to the song yourself so that I don't ruin the experience for you.
And yes, I said experience. I've never thought of listening to music as an experience. It was just something that was playing in the background, whether in the feature motion film, stuffed into my ears during a run, or even now, playing in the background underneath the dense clouds of constant chip and chattering in the coffee shop. Music was not an experience... it was just there to fill the silence. But as my boyfriend explained to me the artist's pain and plea for help behind each word that was carefully released from his lips, the mixed emotions he has behind his relationship with Nikki, his addiction to the rush, despite the hurt that followed, I could see a story forming. I could see the conflict in Logic's mind, wanting to leave, yet feeling the need to stay. I could see the hurt in his eyes, the pain in his tears. I was experiencing the song. I was experiencing his life.
I've always known that music was a huge part of my boyfriend's life, yet it was something I could not fully relate to. But as he explained to me why he felt such an attachment to this song, I remember telling him: You express yourself through music.
And he said: Yeah, now that you mention it I guess you're right. I guess I can relate pretty well with the artists through their lyrics and music.
Which got me thinking. How do I express myself? Is it through words? Speaking? Reading? Writing? Running? Art? Loving on others?
How do you express yourself?
How do you express yourself?


COMMENTS